They're coming. The holidays are coming. Right after Halloween this week we enter into what is officially 'the holiday season'. You know...where Target immediately swishes away the remaining banana costumes and decks the halls with ALL THE ORNAMENTS. Oh, and Thanksgiving is somewhere before that too. Every year I feel like I move one step closer to becoming Mr. Senior from SNL. Regardless of when you officially get in the holiday spirit, you need to keep your guard up to keep those extra indulgences at bay. Because the typical person puts on anywhere between 1 and 10 pounds during the season keeping your habits healthy, merry and bright RIGHT NOW is your best bet.
Now I'm not saying skip out on the pumpkin or pecan pie (seriously- don't skip it if you love it).
5 nutrition secrets for making healthier choices during the holidays:
- Drinks OR Dessert: You don't need both. There are plenty of opportunities to enjoy either this season. Choose your favorite for that evening. Champagne OR gingerbread. Halloween Reese's peanut butter pumpkins OR autumn brew beer.
- Walk it off: It's getting colder, but for those of us weenies who live South of the Mason Dixon line and start shivering when it hits the 40's, we need to put on an extra layer and enjoy the beautiful outdoors. Grab a friend or family member and walk the block or the woods before dinner.
- Hydrate: Don't mistake true thirst for what feels like hunger. Always bring water or order an extra glass when you're out. Hydration > eating at the wrong time.
- Find the greens: They're somewhere. Be they brussels sprouts or green beans, sneaking a green juice on the road en route to the party or yes, even the wimpy celery sticks at an event filled with fake cheese chips, challenge yourself to make sure to find the greens.
- Pack healthy snacks: I am totally the girl who needs snacks. If I don't have snacks, I get ravenous, mean and make bad food decisions. Which is where I need to tell you about NatureBox. If you're pressed for time (Hello.) and want a variety of well selected healthy options delivered straight to your house, this delivery subscription service is worth your time! You get 5 snacks every month that you can select or have the team pick for you from over 100 options to fit your dietary needs. No artificial sweeteners, colors or anything gross (You can learn more about their Product Promise here.). It's the perfect thing to throw in your bag, car or in your lunchbox for something snacky with a solid meal.
I was totally blown away by the flavors and options in my box. It was the perfect balance of sweet, salty, savory and chocolate options. The tomato almonds? OH MY GOSH. And as a secret fruit snack lover, the watermelon fruit chews blew my mind. I actually loved these so much I'm thinking about sending these as holiday gift subscriptions!
Click here to start your free trial with NatureBox!* *Fine Crumbs: Free trial is available for new and US subscribers only. Not valid on gift subscriptions and may not be combined with any other offers” Your trial box will contain 1 full sized bag and 4 single serving pouches.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Dietitian Nutritionist. My husband Chris and I create food and beverage photos, videos, stopmotions and recipes. And they're really cool.