Some girls are happy to get flowers. I get psyched about a good watermelon. If I have my druthers, preferably a sugar baby, but I'm not trying to be high maintenance here. There is nothing more summery to me than getting a road side stand watermelon, cutting it open and being able to smell it from across the house. Have you ever tried watermelon at a conference hotel breakfast in February? Yeah...
So while you actually have access to a fantastic watermelon, buy as many as you can and eat them daily. Our favorite side dish du jour right now is this salad: healthy, crisp, summery watermelon, feta and jalapeño in a light dressing. It's sweet, acidic, salty, crisp all in one dish. Which makes it perfect. This is the perfect high volume, low calorie dish for a party. Or for yourself. #RealTalk
It's hydrating, full of fiber..there's cheese. What's not to love?
Watermelon Jalapeño Feta Salad
/// Ingredients ///
- feta cheese, crumbled to taste over the top (for 2 people I did maybe 1/4 cup)
- watermelon (sugar baby variety is best- no seeds!) , 1-1/4 inch thick cut from the middle of the watermelon (we cut into squares then sliced them into 4 shingles each)
- red onion (1 very small or 1/4 reg)
- basil 3 leaves torn or cut
- jalapeno 1/4 - 1/2 thinly sliced
/// dressing ///
- Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp
- cider vinegar 1 T
- vegetable/canola oil 1 T
- garlic clove 1 small, minced
- honey/brown sugar 2 tsp
- lime juice 1 T
- /// Directions /// To make the dressing, add dressing ingredients to a cup/bowl and whisk vigorously or use an immersion blender. Add a layer of dressing to the plate and add cubed watermelon, onion, feta, basil and jalapeño.
Dietitian Nutritionist. My husband Chris and I create food and beverage photos, videos, stopmotions and recipes. And they're really cool.