The perfect thing to do with leftover brisket or steak: steak tacos with roasted salsa verde, pickled radish and microgreens in a crunchy shell.
We had some leftover brisket the other day. For some reason, said brisket just did not cook as planned. Normally I pull off a ridiculously tender, break apart brisket. But this brisket was kind of tough and disappointing and therefore there were leftovers. So I sliced the brisket, then chopped it up, seasoned it a little and made tacos. Should you have leftover steak, or brisket, or a similar cut... this is what you make.
The best kind of tacos are sometimes the ones that just are leftovers redefined. Or the tacos that someone else makes for you. Those are also good.
Something to think about when building tacos or sandwiches or basically any dish: balance of flavors and texture. I am by no means knowledgable about tacos period. But I do know what balance is. The brisket (or possibly steak in your case) is seasoned with a spice blend that includes salt, cumin and chili. The salsa verde is the big flavor impact: cilantro, garlic, jalapenño and lime. It has spice and sweetness. And then the pickled radishes bring the vinegar to cut through the savory, salty taco shell. The microgreens are there for color but also for an extra punch of herbal/earthy flavor beyond the cilantro. These microgreens are radish microgreens but you could use micro kale or micro spinach or whatever makes you happy.
Leftover Steak Salsa Verde Tacos
- 1/2 small jalapeño, de-seeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 medium tomatillos, de-husked and quartered
- 2 large handfuls fresh cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 medium shallot
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sliced and chopped leftover steak or brisket
- 1/2 teaspoon"taco" seasoning blend, or a blend of cumin, salt, chili or similar
- crunchy taco shells
- optional feta or cojita cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- To make salsa verde: line a baking sheet with foil or a silicon baking mat. Add tomatillos, jalapeño, garlic and drizzle it with olive oil.
- Roast for 25 minutes or until tomatillo is soft and begins to blacken.
- Cool and place in food processor with cilantro, lime juice, salt and roughly chopped shallot.
- Pulse until chunky and combined.
- To make pickled radishes: thinly slice radishes and place in a small bowl.
- In a microwave safe dish or on the stove, heat vinegar and dissolve sugar and salt. Pour over radishes.
- Refrigerate to chill.
- To make steak filling: chop leftover steak/brisket. Add to a sauté pan with seasoning and a splash of water or chicken or beef stock. Heat over medium and add seasoning.
- Stir to combine and heat to warm.
- Heat tacos on the warming setting on the oven (or lowest temp). Fill with salsa verde, beef, pickled radish and top with microgreens. Add feta if desired.
Dietitian Nutritionist. My husband Chris and I create food and beverage photos, videos, stopmotions and recipes. And they're really cool.