Curry grilled yogurt chicken with a light pickled salad of kale and cabbage with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Pull out the shorts and fire up the grill (or grill pan). Today’s recipe is for yogurt marinated chicken over a filling, cruciferous veggie salad. We call it a fridge salad. It’s the kind of salad that you can eat for lunch and then the left overs hold up perfectly in the fridge, even with dressing. I find these especially perfect for warmer months when I’m in more of a small bites snack mood.
The salad is cabbage and kale, which are incredibly high in fiber and perfect for withstanding dressing for long periods of time. No soggy leaves. I think they get better with a few hours actually. Also in the salad is fresh cilantro to add brightness and some crispy little sesame seeds. The dressing is a dijon vinaigrette. It’s like a gentle pickling (kind of like you drinking rosé all summer).
To round out the salad we’re adding protein. The chicken is coated with a spiced yogurt marinade. And actually, yogurt might be your new hack for grilling. Instead of a typical marinade that’s mostly vinegar or citrus, yogurt works more effectively and gently to slowly tenderize vs toughen the chicken. Yogurt is a perfect fridge staple for summer grilling. Siggi’s is only made with simple ingredients and is lower in sugar and higher in protein than other yogurts, making it my go-to. I used the Touch of Honey flavor for the marinade because its one less ingredient I need to whisk into my seasoning. If you’re not looking for salad right now, make this chicken no matter what. It has curry spices and ground coriander making it a fun alternative to bland grilled chicken or maybe your typical BBQ. Life is about options. You should opt for this one.
Grilled Honey Yogurt Chicken Over Cabbage Kale Salad
- 1 cup siggi’s Touch of Honey
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- juice of 1 lemon
- a few cracks of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder (madras-style)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (although thighs would be great too)
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale (aka dino kale)
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk yogurt chicken ingredients (except for chicken) to combine.
- Cut chicken into pieces and toss in marinade.
- Cover refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- To make salad : De-stem kale and chiffonade. To chiffonade, stack kale leaves, roll tightly and slice the roll to create ribbons (like cutting a baguette into slices).
- Add kale, onion, cabbage, cilantro and sesame seeds to a large bowl.
- To make dressing: whisk to combine in a small bowl and pour over salad. Toss and refrigerate while chicken is cooking.
- To cook chicken: grease a grill pan over medium high heat or heat grill to medium high heat. Add chicken in batches and cook for about 5 minutes. Flip chicken to other side and continue to cook until browned with an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Add chicken to salad and serve.
Dietitian Nutritionist. My husband Chris and I create food and beverage photos, videos, stopmotions and recipes. And they're really cool.