Chia pudding with strawberry shortcake turned into a layered parfait.
Parfaits are amazing. I'm very into the whole layered dessert concept. Chia seed pudding, strawberries, shortcake and whipped cream create an easy Valentine's day worthy or picnic perfect dessert. You can make this strawberry shortcake parfait ahead of time and store it in the fridge making for a seamless dinner or party timeline. But most importantly, it really just means there are lots of bites of all sorts of things that you can mix and match.
I think my first love of layered desserts is sometime circa 1996? When those dirt cakes were a big thing. But probably mainly because they involved Oreos (which, to be fair, cookies and cream ice cream is still my favorite flavor). I could have always passed on the whole gummy worm situation with the dirt cake theme however. In my book, gummies should not be consumed with ice cream or any other sort of chilled dessert.
The last time we brought chia seed pudding back to the blog was December 2016, when we made a smokey chocolate chia seed pudding and man was it gorgeous. We had also just purchased a smoke gun and were using it with everything. Please note Chris has just purchased a blow torch so you can also expect a lot of torched things soon.
I'm still a chia pudding fan. And as healthy as chia seed pudding can be with fresh fruit like strawberries, let's be honest...we made it better by adding cake and whipped cream. Not sorry. It tastes amazing and that's what's important over here.
But if you want me to be all nutrition facts on you, a parfait ends up working out health wise too... By increasing layers of the more nutrient dense items and making the more indulgent ingredients less prominent, you get all the taste and flavor but in a more conscious way. Add more strawberries and chia pudding and tone down the whipped cream and cake. It's very customizable. As long as you don't add the gummies.
Note: You can make this several hours ahead and store it in the fridge. You can also add in a layer of strawberry jam if you're not loving the berry selection at your store, or feel like they need a flavor boost in the off season.
Strawberry Shortcake Chia Pudding Parfait
- chia seed pudding*
- 2 cups cubed shortcake or spongecake
- 4 cups fresh strawberries
- lightly sweetened whipped cream*
Lightly Sweetened Whipped Cream*
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon powdered sugar
Chia Seed Pudding*
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup plain 0% strained yogurt (eg Icelandic or Greek- we use Siggi's )
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- To make chia seed pudding, whisk almond milk and yogurt together.
- Sprinkle in chia seeds, whisk again and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Whisk again and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- To make whipped cream, add cream to a standing mixer with a whisk attachment and whip on medium to medium-high until thick and whipped.
- To make parfait, divide chia pudding among glasses.
- Add strawberry slices along inside of glass, or cube strawberries and add a layer.
- Add cake layer.
- Top with cream, more fresh strawberries and crumbled cake on top.
- Garnish with strawberry.
Dietitian Nutritionist. My husband Chris and I create food and beverage photos, videos, stopmotions and recipes. And they're really cool.