Summertime in Virginia means one thing: big hair. Even that's a bit of an understatement... HUGE -humidity-newswoman hair is more accurate. The last thing I want to drink in the summer is something warm or heavy. I was excited to see the Recipe Redux theme for July, summer beverages, and I knew exactly what to whip up.
Seltzer water is my go-to base for any drink, including the after 5 pm variety. While both tonic and soda water provide the bubbly base, soda water is calorie free while 8 ounces of tonic tops off at about 75 calories. If you're having 1 tonic water a day, it can easily fit into your discretionary calories, but when you're downing tonic as a water replacement, you've got a calorie surplus on your hands.
I wanted to keep this recipe light and clean tasting using ingredients that I could mostly find in my back yard. I also wanted an excuse to use the newly potted Stevia plant and pick the blackberry abundance. But the best recipes come from certain constraints and so we begin...
Mint Berry Seltzer
- 3 stevia leaves, chopped -or the sweetener of your choice
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 C berries (Raspberries, Blackberries, Wineberries work best)
- 8 oz seltzer water
- 1 palmful mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 ice cubes
We had help from the lawn tiger, of course.
When mixing your drink, I suggest adding the berries, stevia, mint, and lemon juice to the glass first. Next, slowly pour the seltzer over the top and mix with a spoon.
Summer chill in a glass. To muddle or not to muddle? That's YOUR decision!
The berries and stevia add sweetness while the lemon and mint brighten your beverage. Much more refreshing than a can of soda with the benefit of antioxidants and clean ingredients. Looking for a cocktail? Try adding vodka or gin to the mix.
Here are more beverage recipes from Recipe Redux-ers:
- Gretchen, kumquat Ginger Ale
- Dr. Barb, Nutrition Budgeteer Triple Cherry Chiller
- Carlene Helble, Carlene's Figments Mint Berry Seltzer
- Kara Lydon, Peace, Love, and Food Blueberry Basil Lemonade Fizz
- Deanna Segrave-Daly, Teaspoon of Spice Cantaloupe Basil Aqua Fresca Fizz
- Jessica Fishman Levinson, Nutritioulicious Blueberry Basil Cooler
- Marie Spano, Performance Nutrition Post-Workout Power Smoothie
- Elizabeth Jarrard, Don't White Sugar-Coat It Southern Blackberry Smash
- Emily Greenfield, The Nutriscientist Apple, pear and strawberry smoothie with Chia
- Kristen Bourque- Swanky Dietitian Fresh Fruit and Club Soda Cooler
- Regan Jones - The Professional Palate Berry-Lime Bubbly
- Kat Lynch - Eating the Week Sparkling melon fizz - nice & naughty
- Lisa @ Healthful Sense Berry Refreshing Chia Seed Smoothie
- EA Stewart-The Spicy RD Gingery Peach Float
- Alysa Bajenaru - Inspired RD Blackberry Banana Swirl
- Ann Dunaway Teh, Eat to Nourish, Energize & Flourish Pregnancy Mocktails
- Yuri - Chef Pandita Green Tea Ginger Limeade with Chia Seeds
- Karman Meyer-Nutrition Adventures Orange-Mint Iced Green Tea
- Cherie Schetselaar-Grain Crazy Mango Strawberry Smoothie
- Emma Stirling - The Scoop on Nutrition Recipe Redux Tangelo-ade
- Carrie Miller, Nutrition Know How, 12 Smoothie Recipes to Beat the Heat