Last month we talked beverages with Recipe Redux, but August brings a delicious summer challenge: frozen desserts.
I think we know how much of an ice cream obsession I have. For Redux I definitely toyed around with ice cream based desserts (mostly I just enjoyed eating the ice cream while pondering), but I'll do you one better and healthier!
I bring you frozen banana soft serve sandwiched between two vegan peanut butter cookies. Before you snub the vegan cookies, let me assure you, vegan or not these cookies are delicious. Frozen and blended bananas are something to definitely try. Considered the new darlings of the health snack world, the creamy texture mimics ice cream without the added sugar and fat. Plus I'm sure you have those over ripened bananas laying around. Toss them in the freezer for smoothies or this dessert and you'll be wishing other bananas would ripen faster.
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies (from 100 best vegan baking recipes)
- 2 C Flour
- 2 t Baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 C margarine
- 1 C sugar
- 1 C brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 C apple sauce
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 C Pb
Preheat the oven to 350 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Cream margarine and sugars together in a large bowl. Add applesauce, vanilla, and peanut butter and mix well. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl and slowly add to wet mixture.
Drop tablespoon sized dough balls onto the parchment and bake for about 10 minutes. They will brown on the top and edges. Cool on a separate platter.
Banana Soft Serve
- Ripe, frozen bananas
Take bananas out of the freezer. Peel and chunk into a Cuisinart or blender. Mix until smooth.
Scoop the soft serve and sandwich between two cookies. If you're not ready to eat them immediately, wrap in wax paper or aluminum foil to place in the freezer. These are a great make-ahead dessert for a party.
Have a nut allergy? Need to be gluten free? Skip the Pb cookies and go for your favorite while using the same filling.
Check out these other summer frozen desserts from fellow dietitians and foodies:
- Emma Stirling - The Scoop on Nutrition Greek Yogurt Pavlova Popsicles
- Cherie Schetselaar - Grain Crazy Blackberry Lemon Almond Torte
- Emma Cutfield-The Hearty Heart Coconut Ice, Blueberry and Cocoa, Joint Healing Dessert
- Janel Funk - Eat Well with Janel Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream
- Kat Lynch - Eating The Week Coconut Chia-Seed Fruit Pops
- Dr Barb, Nutrition Budgeteer Simply Fruit Mango-Pineapple Sorbet
- Rebecca Scritchfield - MeFirst 5-minute Frozen Peach Pie
- gretchen - kumquat chocolate "ice cream" bars
- Emily Greenfield - The Nutriscientist Honey and strawberry semifreddo
- Liz Marr - Liz On Food Peach Lavender Ice Cream
- Elizabeth Jarrard- Don't (White) Sugar-Coat It Adult Popsicles: Frozen Boozy Treats
- Regan - The Professional Palate Frozen Samoa Pie
- Liz Weiss & Janice Newell Bissex - Meal Makeover Moms' Kitchen Healthy Blueberry and Mango Snow Cones
- Jessica Fishman Levinson - NutritiouliciousWatermelon Sorbet
- Alexandra Caspero- Delicious Knowledge Mango & Coconut Popsicles
- Karman Meyer- Nutrition Adventures Coconut Ice Cream with Strawberry Puree
- Yuri - Chef Pandita Acerola Chia Lime Popsicles
- Kristen Bourque- Swanky Dietitian Peanut Butter Coffee Popsicles
- EA Stewart-The Spicy RD Luscious Lemonade Pie
- Danielle Omar - Food Confidence RD Banana Soft Serve
- Katie Caputo- East Meats West Auntie Rosie's Ice Cream Pie
- Alysa Bajenaru - Inspired RD Coffee Granita
- Kara Lydon - Peace, Love, and Food Peanut Butter Banana "Ice Cream" With Dark Chocolate
- Serena Ball- Teaspoon of Spice Splendid Key Lime Frozen Yogurt
- Nicole Ferring Holovach - Whole Health RD Peaches and Rum Ice Cream Pie
- Lisa @ Healthful Sense Peanut Butter Vanilla Soft Serve
- Jackie Mills - Delicious Diabetes Cooking Summer Fruit Popsicles
- Audra Losey - Nutrition Know How Mocha Pops
- Kristina LaRue - Love and Zest Frozen Berry Yogurt