Maybe it was the bachelorette party gone wrong or you’ve attended one too many wine festivals this summer. You're tempted to check in to a wellness center for an IV vitamin drip for clear skin, energy, and heck, even better test scores. After all, Rihanna and other celebrities swear by it....Seriously? Stop the bus. You do not need an IV vitamin drip for your hangover,to get great skin, or to be smarter. Why do people say this treatment works? We call this a placebo effect. People state they feel better in situations where they believe a treatment will work. It is also likely that the psychological benefits of receiving attention produces a mood improvement. Additionally, since IV cocktails usually contain large amounts of fluid, hydration (especially after a rough weekend) can be the best cure to feeling better. But you don't need it through an IV. Just drink water and eat fruit which naturally hydrates.
Why shouldn't I have IV vitamin treatment? This is an extreme and expensive measure that reminds me of the tube feeding weight loss diet. The risks and costs outweigh the benefits and a major concern is a possible infection at the IV site. If you're checking into a 'wellness' center or 'medical spa' be extra alert! If they are mixing their own IV cocktail, it's a red flag. Our bodies keep precise ranges of vitamins and minerals, and an 'oopsie' by your IV bartender could even cause a heart attack.
You Don’t Need IV Drips To Feel Better. Tips That Work!
For the Hangover:
- Don’t drink to the extreme. The reason some ladies feel like death after a night or more of partying is because they over did it. Moderation!
- Limit your empty calories. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram…and that’s not including the juice, added sugar, and mixers. These empty calories mean you’re not getting your nutrients from actual healthy foods.
- Alcohol is a diuretic. Alternate water or seltzer water between drinks to hydrate. Dehydration is half the battle.
- Eat a balanced diet and definitely eat while drinking!
- Have a bedtime banana. Some people say they feel a difference if they have a banana, some chicken broth, a watered down sports drink etcetera before crashing for the night. This is probably due to fluids (yes, even the banana) and the electrolytes.
For Great Skin:
- Stay hydrated!
- Wear sunscreen. I know that's not nutrition related, but it's just a fact. I've worn sunscreen on my face since I was 13.
- Have healthy fats. Avocado, nuts, seeds and salmon have vitamin E to keep skin smooth.
- Opt for spinach and lean beef. Both have iron which increases efficient blood flow for a healthy glow.
- Citrus and bell peppers give you antioxidants! Vitamin C can help prevent sun damage while building a stable framework beneath the skin.
Don’t let supplement and treatment pushers fool you. You are too smart to spend your money on that.
Dietitian Nutritionist. My husband Chris and I create food and beverage photos, videos, stopmotions and recipes. And they're really cool.