How much do you know about your own neighborhood? When many of us get a spare weekend or day, it's off to the races and you're skipping out of town to enjoy somewhere else-ville, USA. Maybe it's just me, but there's nothing I love more than enjoying my own surroundings.
Luckily, Virginia is chock-full of historic towns, amazing shopping,vineyards and a lush food community. Case in point...Middleburg, Virginia. Middleburg is known as horse country and home to many a fox hunt. It was often frequented by Jackie O. It's also home to part of my 'culinary road trip endeavor' (the girls boarding school). So in part to clock my commute, but really to enjoy spring and snag some local eats, the husband and I went on a staycation.
My favorite shop and slice of local food paradise is Home Farm, Traditional Butchers and Graziers. Stop here if you're looking for well raised meat and cheese! Not immune to popular culture, they also offered a healthier version of the McDonald's Shamrock Shake in their upstairs soda shop.
We grabbed lunch at Market Salamander: owned by the BET (TV) co-founder. The vegetarian Lite Green Wrap had a good blend of textures with marinated feta as well as some sprouts. In the way of beverages, we also picked up hard cider but bypassed the tempting desserts. The kitchen team was efficient and wonderful. It's a definite stop. Pick up food to-go on your way home!
Here are my top shops and restaraunts I suggest in Middleburg:
- Mello Out: Home made marshmallows & sandwiches.
- Home Farm: Beautifully raised meats, luxe cheeses and produce.
- Lou Lou 2: Great accessories- I love to get my animal themed jewelry here.
- Red Fox Inn: Great food and outdoor seating. My number one pick to host a party. I even considered the location for my wedding last fall.
- Market Salamander: For catering, quick lunch,and to keep tabs on! Salamander is opening a luxury resort soon. FYI book your wedding now!
- Creme de la Creme: Linnens, dishes and paper. The perfect place to pick up food photography set ups.
If you're visiting DC I highly recommend a vineyard and day trip to Middleburg. Do you have your own favorite staycation?
Dietitian Nutritionist. My husband Chris and I create food and beverage photos, videos, stopmotions and recipes. And they're really cool.