Accidents happen. When you're in the kitchen, knives and hot pans sometimes come in rather unfortunate contact with body parts. Or you're squeezing citrus you become painfully aware of a prior cut ( THE BURN!).
One of the best things you can do to keep an injury from getting worse is to have a small first aid station set up in your kitchen. Tucked into a drawer, I have a stash of bandaids and antiseptic. If I'm bleeding, I'm not making a dash for the bathroom to dig through the closet. I need instant gratification. Take care of it immediately to keep infection at bay and pay attention in the kitchen!
So while discovering an 'ouchie' is no fun, I completely advise picking up some bandages that will make you smile through the tears.
You should Keep Calm and Carry On
Put on something cold (like a pickle)
Soothe your soul with some comfort food ( toast)
And of course, tell everyone what happened.
Here are my top 5 tips to keep you bandage free and kitchen safe:
- Avoid inappropriate clothing while cooking. That means no drapey sleeves, scarves, or long hair down.
- Turn all pot handles inwards (parallel to the stove/counter) so they're not sticking out.
- Clean spills on the floor ASAP. No one likes the slow-motion falling feeling.
- Keep knives sharp! While it may seem like it would be easier to cut yourself, dull knives are usually the culprit of slicing an appendage.
- Pay attention. No texting while chopping or tweeting while sautéing. Tweet us the pictures later, we will wait!