I love Indian food. So. Much. As luck would have it, my uncle [side note: yes, he's Indian], flew in for the weekend and cooked us true vegetarian, spiced Indian goodness. From dahl to stuffed prathas I was in heaven. Besides the food, one thing I really admire about Indian culture is the color and embellishment of everything from paper to shoes. And that's a wonderful place to start for a Friday Fete.
How to...Throw an Indian Inspired Fete
- Appreciate the paper products and send out bright invites like these from Paper Source.
- Set the scene by draping bright fabrics as seen in the gorgeous camel caravan image. Don't be afraid to do a color over load.
- Strands of bright flowers, like marigolds, are another gorgeous Indian tradition that are used for religious offerings and decoration like this photo from Kudomomo. Here's a great DIY video on how to string flowers.
- Adorn yourself! From beaded pink slippers to elephant bangles and emerald necklaces, now's your time to break out the jewelry that may normally be to bright for everyday wear.
- Wear a kaftan. Seriously. Now's your chance. You can get them everywhere from Lilly Pulitzer to World Market.
- Ahhh. Now onto the food. Try a yellow lentil and cauliflower curry like this recipe from a Pinch of Yum and serve it with rice and naan. I also love bite sized veggie stuffed samosas. Need more inspiration? Check out this entire section of healthy Indian recipes from Healthy Aperture.
- Serve plenty of fruit to balance out the grains and fried items!
///Images linked above. Camel source unknown.///
Do you like Indian food? What do you make?
Dietitian Nutritionist. My husband Chris and I create food and beverage photos, videos, stopmotions and recipes. And they're really cool.